Friday, April 13, 2012

Baby Smiles

There is nothing as sweet as a baby's first smile. After my daughter was born I was in a constant state of exhaustion and anxiety. Adjusting to interrupted sleep is no picnic and to top it off the bundle of joy my husband and I left the hospital with does not come with a user manual. Every cry was an experiment. Diaper change? Hungry? Tired? Bored? Just want to drive mom nuts?
 Around week 6 I stumbled into the nursery, picked up my crying baby and cuddled her to my chest. Her cries stopped and I felt a small frisson of satisfaction. I placed her on the changing table and smiled. That little face broke into a huge smile that reached her indigo eyes. I felt my heart melt and all exhaustion left my body. For the next 10 minutes I talked to her and tried to coax that smile back onto her face.

To this day making that little face break into a smile is a huge accomplishment. Her smile means I am doing something right. She is happy and feels secure.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging. I think you will like it. It will be a nice tribute left for Morgan that she can look back on over the years. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete